Showing posts with label Violent Crime. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Violent Crime. Show all posts

Friday, August 14, 2026

Pair Accused of Shooting at St. Louis Police, ATF

ST. LOUIS – Two men have been accused of shooting at St. Louis Metropolitan police officers and ATF agents last month.

Justin R. Price, 19, and Alexavier Bishop, 19, both of Florissant, were charged by complaint in U.S. District Court in St. Louis Thursday with aiding and abetting the assault of federal agents and aiding and abetting the discharge of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence. Price appeared in court Friday. Bishop is in custody.

The officers and agents were conducting a traffic stop at Oriole and Thekla Avenues in St. Louis on July 28 when just after 9 p.m. a Ford Fusion stopped about one block away and someone fired 12 shots with an automatic weapon. Police pursued the Fusion, which was abandoned in the 1500 block of Sells Avenue. An affidavit filed in support of the complaint says that Bishop, Price and one other person were in the Fusion but escaped, the affidavit says.

About 90 minutes before the shooting, Price and Bishop were spotted pulling on the door handles of parked vehicles in the 1700 block of McLaran Avenue, about one mile away, and appeared to be armed, the affidavit says.

“It is a miracle that the police officers, ATF agents and bystanders were not wounded in this incident,” said U.S. Attorney Thomas C. Albus. “You can be assured that we are treating this assault with the utmost seriousness. We are grateful for the hard work of investigators and the assistance of the public, and we hope that the public will continue to help us in this ongoing investigation.”

“The fact that no one was struck by the 12 rounds fired at St. Louis police officers and ATF agents that night was extraordinarily fortunate, but it does not diminish the seriousness of this alleged attack,” said ATF Kansas City Field Division Special Agent in Charge Bernard Hansen. “This case reflects the determined work of state, local and federal partners, along with community members who came forward to help. We are especially grateful for SLMPD’s investigative work and for the diligence of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in reviewing the evidence and securing these charges as the investigation continues.”

“An attack on law enforcement is an attack on the people working every day to keep our neighborhoods safe. These arrests demonstrate what is possible when local, state and federal law enforcement work together, supported by a community willing to come forward and help, with a shared commitment to accountability,” said St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Chief Robert J. Tracy. “I am grateful to the many law enforcement partners involved in this investigation, along with our nationally recognized SLMPD Crime Laboratory, for working relentlessly to identify those allegedly responsible and move this case forward.”

Charges set forth in a criminal complaint are merely accusations and do not constitute proof of guilt.  Every defendant is presumed to be innocent unless and until proven guilty.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the FBI, the St. Louis County Police Department, the Alton Police Department and the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s Office were involved in the investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul D’Agrosa is prosecuting the case.

Monday, July 06, 2026

$5,000 Reward for information in Indianapolis Homicide

INDIANAPOLIS — The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is announcing a $5,000.00 reward for information leading to the identification and arrest of the individual(s) responsible for the shooting death of Eric Butler that occurred on Friday, June 19, 2026.

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) responded to the 200 block of South Franklin Road at approximately 2:25 a.m. to a report of a shooting victim. The victim, Eric Butler, was taken to a local hospital in critical condition where he later succumbed to his injuries.

ATF is assisting the IMPD with this investigation and is providing all available resources to bring the offender(s) to justice. ATF is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information related to the identification of those responsible for this senseless act of violence.

Anyone who has information about this incident should contact ATF at 1-888-ATF-TIPS (888-283-8477). Individuals may also email ATFTips@atf.gov, or contact ATF through its website at www.atf.gov/contact/atf-tips. Tips may be submitted to ATF using the ReportIt® app, available on both Google Play and the Apple App Store, or by visiting www.reportit.com.

Monday, June 22, 2026

Oklahoma City Man Faces Federal Charges Following Deadly Shootout with Law Enforcement

OKLAHOMA CITY – A federal superseding indictment has been filed, charging BENJAMIN HARRISON PLANK, 38, of Oklahoma City, with multiple federal offenses arising from a deadly shootout and high-speed chase involving multiple law enforcement agencies, announced U.S. Attorney Robert J. Troester.

“Law enforcement officers put themselves in harm’s way every day to carry out their duties and serve our community,” said U.S. Attorney Robert J. Troester. “Any attack on them will not be tolerated, and the Justice Department will work tirelessly with its partners to hold the individual accountable to the fullest extent.”

According to a federal criminal complaint and supporting affidavit, on August 22, 2022, three deputies with the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office went to an Oklahoma County residence to evict Plank pursuant to a court order. When they arrived, Plank refused to exit the residence and the deputies prepared to make a lawful forced entry. Before they could enter, Plank fired multiple rounds from an AR-15-style rifle from inside the residence, killing one deputy at the scene. Plank then exited the residence and shot another deputy multiple times. That deputy survived the injuries. Plank also exchanged gunfire with the third deputy.

Court records further reflect that following the initial shootout, Plank loaded a backpack containing firearms and drug paraphernalia into a boat mounted on a trailer attached to his truck and fled the scene. A dangerous high-speed pursuit ensued, during which Plank continued to fire at law enforcement officers, including officers assisting the United States Marshals Service. The pursuit ended outside Tinker Air Force Base after Plank was observed throwing the rifle from the driver’s-side window of the truck. He was arrested shortly thereafter.

On June 16, 2026, a federal grand jury returned a seven-count superseding indictment charging Plank with two counts of prohibited person in possession of firearms, two counts of assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers using a deadly or dangerous weapon, two counts of discharging a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence, and one count of attempted murder of certain officers.

If convicted of all charges, Plank faces no less than ten years and up to life in federal prison and fines of up to $1,750,000.

The public is reminded that these charges are merely allegations, and that Plank is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

This case is the result of an investigation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Oklahoma City Police Department. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jacquelyn M. Hutzell is prosecuting the case.

Reference is made to public filings for additional information.

Friday, December 29, 2023

ATF Spreads Holiday Cheer: Collects Toys for Domestic Violence Victims

Ashland, Kentucky — In the spirit of giving and spreading holiday joy, the dedicated employees of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) are working to make this Christmas season a little brighter for local youth facing challenging circumstances.

This year, ATF's Louisville Division, which encompasses Kentucky and West Virginia, took the initiative to purchase Christmas toys for Safe Harbor of Northeast Kentucky. Safe Harbor is an emergency shelter and advocacy center that offers free, confidential, and supportive services to domestic violence victims in Boyd, Greenup, Carter, Lawrence, and Elliott counties. Each year, Safe Harbor extends a helping hand to as many as 150 women and children in need.

"As we work with crime victims, we are especially aware of the harm domestic violence causes to families," remarked ATF Special Agent in Charge Shawn Morrow of the Louisville Division.

ATF's primary mission is to safeguard the public from violent crime, and it's important to note that approximately 20 percent of all violent crimes fall under the category of domestic violence. Shockingly, according to data from the 2021 National Crime Victim Survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, domestic violence abusers with access to firearms are five times more likely to cause harm to their partners.

"We want our communities to know ATF prioritizes violent crime, and we are committed to helping all victims and survivors," added Morrow.

The heartwarming contribution consisted of a variety of toys, including a brand-new basketball goal for the Ashland facility. The gifts were thoughtfully delivered to Safe Harbor of Northeast Kentucky on December 21st.

ATF, as the leading federal law enforcement agency responsible for investigating violent crimes involving firearms, arson, and explosives, continues to uphold its commitment to fostering safer communities. To learn more about ATF and its various programs, you can visit their website at www.atf.gov.

In the true spirit of the season, ATF's thoughtful gesture demonstrates the power of compassion and community in making a positive impact on the lives of those in need, especially during the holiday season.