Showing posts with label Federal charges. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Federal charges. Show all posts

Friday, August 14, 2026

Pair Accused of Shooting at St. Louis Police, ATF

ST. LOUIS – Two men have been accused of shooting at St. Louis Metropolitan police officers and ATF agents last month.

Justin R. Price, 19, and Alexavier Bishop, 19, both of Florissant, were charged by complaint in U.S. District Court in St. Louis Thursday with aiding and abetting the assault of federal agents and aiding and abetting the discharge of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence. Price appeared in court Friday. Bishop is in custody.

The officers and agents were conducting a traffic stop at Oriole and Thekla Avenues in St. Louis on July 28 when just after 9 p.m. a Ford Fusion stopped about one block away and someone fired 12 shots with an automatic weapon. Police pursued the Fusion, which was abandoned in the 1500 block of Sells Avenue. An affidavit filed in support of the complaint says that Bishop, Price and one other person were in the Fusion but escaped, the affidavit says.

About 90 minutes before the shooting, Price and Bishop were spotted pulling on the door handles of parked vehicles in the 1700 block of McLaran Avenue, about one mile away, and appeared to be armed, the affidavit says.

“It is a miracle that the police officers, ATF agents and bystanders were not wounded in this incident,” said U.S. Attorney Thomas C. Albus. “You can be assured that we are treating this assault with the utmost seriousness. We are grateful for the hard work of investigators and the assistance of the public, and we hope that the public will continue to help us in this ongoing investigation.”

“The fact that no one was struck by the 12 rounds fired at St. Louis police officers and ATF agents that night was extraordinarily fortunate, but it does not diminish the seriousness of this alleged attack,” said ATF Kansas City Field Division Special Agent in Charge Bernard Hansen. “This case reflects the determined work of state, local and federal partners, along with community members who came forward to help. We are especially grateful for SLMPD’s investigative work and for the diligence of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in reviewing the evidence and securing these charges as the investigation continues.”

“An attack on law enforcement is an attack on the people working every day to keep our neighborhoods safe. These arrests demonstrate what is possible when local, state and federal law enforcement work together, supported by a community willing to come forward and help, with a shared commitment to accountability,” said St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Chief Robert J. Tracy. “I am grateful to the many law enforcement partners involved in this investigation, along with our nationally recognized SLMPD Crime Laboratory, for working relentlessly to identify those allegedly responsible and move this case forward.”

Charges set forth in a criminal complaint are merely accusations and do not constitute proof of guilt.  Every defendant is presumed to be innocent unless and until proven guilty.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the FBI, the St. Louis County Police Department, the Alton Police Department and the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s Office were involved in the investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul D’Agrosa is prosecuting the case.

Monday, June 22, 2026

Oklahoma City Man Faces Federal Charges Following Deadly Shootout with Law Enforcement

OKLAHOMA CITY – A federal superseding indictment has been filed, charging BENJAMIN HARRISON PLANK, 38, of Oklahoma City, with multiple federal offenses arising from a deadly shootout and high-speed chase involving multiple law enforcement agencies, announced U.S. Attorney Robert J. Troester.

“Law enforcement officers put themselves in harm’s way every day to carry out their duties and serve our community,” said U.S. Attorney Robert J. Troester. “Any attack on them will not be tolerated, and the Justice Department will work tirelessly with its partners to hold the individual accountable to the fullest extent.”

According to a federal criminal complaint and supporting affidavit, on August 22, 2022, three deputies with the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office went to an Oklahoma County residence to evict Plank pursuant to a court order. When they arrived, Plank refused to exit the residence and the deputies prepared to make a lawful forced entry. Before they could enter, Plank fired multiple rounds from an AR-15-style rifle from inside the residence, killing one deputy at the scene. Plank then exited the residence and shot another deputy multiple times. That deputy survived the injuries. Plank also exchanged gunfire with the third deputy.

Court records further reflect that following the initial shootout, Plank loaded a backpack containing firearms and drug paraphernalia into a boat mounted on a trailer attached to his truck and fled the scene. A dangerous high-speed pursuit ensued, during which Plank continued to fire at law enforcement officers, including officers assisting the United States Marshals Service. The pursuit ended outside Tinker Air Force Base after Plank was observed throwing the rifle from the driver’s-side window of the truck. He was arrested shortly thereafter.

On June 16, 2026, a federal grand jury returned a seven-count superseding indictment charging Plank with two counts of prohibited person in possession of firearms, two counts of assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers using a deadly or dangerous weapon, two counts of discharging a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence, and one count of attempted murder of certain officers.

If convicted of all charges, Plank faces no less than ten years and up to life in federal prison and fines of up to $1,750,000.

The public is reminded that these charges are merely allegations, and that Plank is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

This case is the result of an investigation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Oklahoma City Police Department. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jacquelyn M. Hutzell is prosecuting the case.

Reference is made to public filings for additional information.

Friday, November 14, 2025

PENSACOLA MAN PLEADS GUILTY TO FEDERAL CHARGES FOR ATTEMPTING TO KILL AN ESCAMBIA COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPUTY

PENSACOLA, FLORIDA – Darrion K. Finley, 21, of Pensacola, Florida, has pled guilty in federal court on charges related to a shooting incident in late 2024. John P. Heekin, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Florida announced the guilty plea.

The Indictment charged Finley with Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon, Attempting to Kill an Escambia County Sheriff’s Deputy to Prevent Certain Communications, and Discharging a Firearm During and in Relation to a Crime of Violence.

U.S. Attorney Heekin said: “This case shows the deadly threats our brave men and women in law enforcement face every day as they fight to remove violent criminals from our communities. My office remains firmly committed to aggressively prosecuting those violent offenders, and we will stand shoulder to shoulder with our law enforcement partners in the fight to keep our streets safe.”

Court documents reveal that on December 17, 2024, the defendant was driving in Pensacola in a stolen vehicle.  When the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office attempted to conduct a traffic stop of the defendant, he accelerated and law enforcement began its vehicle pursuit.  The defendant was eventually stopped when a Deputy Sheriff conducted a precision immobilization technique on the stolen vehicle.  As the defendant and his vehicle were being stopped, he fired a 9 millimeter round into the Deputy’s vehicle.  The defendant then attempted to escape on foot, with his Glock 9 millimeter pistol and loaded extended magazine still in hand, but the Deputy released his K9 partner, who put the defendant down onto the ground.  The defendant, still armed, then tried to run but was shot by the Deputy.  The defendant survived his wounds and was thereafter indicted by a federal grand jury for his crimes.

Sentencing is scheduled on January 13, 2026, at 1:00 p.m. before United States District Judge T. Kent Wetherell II.  Finley faces up to life imprisonment. 

The case is being jointly investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office; the State Attorney’s Office; and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys David L. Goldberg and Jessica S. Etherton.

Monday, July 17, 2023

Former Warren Police Officer Charged With Using Excessive Force Against A Jail Prisoner

DETROIT – A former Warren police officer is facing federal charges for violating a jail prisoner's civil rights by allegedly assaulting the prisoner without justification. United States Attorney Dawn N. Ison announced the charges on Monday.

Matthew J. Rodriguez, 48, a former Warren Police Officer, was charged with deprivation of rights under color of law in a criminal complaint.

According to the complaint, on June 13, 2023, while Rodriguez was working as a jail officer at the Warren Police Department, the victim was brought to the department after being arrested. During the processing, Rodriguez is accused of repeatedly assaulting the prisoner without justification. Surveillance footage from the police department shows that while the victim had his hands down at his sides, Rodriguez struck him in the head with enough force to make him stumble backwards. He then allegedly shoved the victim against a wall and threw him to the floor, where he proceeded to repeatedly punch the victim in the head with a closed fist and slam his head into the floor.

The severity of the alleged abuse prompted federal authorities to step in, and Rodriguez now faces a felony charge for deprivation of civil rights.

U.S. Attorney Dawn N. Ison expressed her concern over the shocking abuse of authority demonstrated by the officer, emphasizing that such conduct must not go unpunished. Macomb County Prosecutor Peter J. Lucido, who initially brought misdemeanor charges against Rodriguez, cooperated with federal authorities to ensure justice is served. The state charges will be dismissed to allow the federal case to proceed.

Acting Special Agent in Charge of the FBI in Michigan, Devin J. Kowalski, reiterated the FBI's commitment to protecting the civil rights of all individuals, including those in police custody. He acknowledged that the alleged conduct of the defendant does not reflect the professionalism and honor expected from law enforcement officers.

If convicted on the civil rights charge, the defendant could face up to ten years in prison. However, a criminal complaint is not evidence of guilt, and Rodriguez is entitled to a fair trial where the government must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

The case was investigated by the FBI, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Moran is prosecuting the case.

This incident serves as a reminder that the protection of civil rights is fundamental to the principles of justice in a democratic society. Authorities are working together to ensure righteousness in the legal system and uphold the values of accountability and integrity in law enforcement.

Thursday, June 15, 2023

U.S. Marine and Second Man Arrested for Firebombing Planned Parenthood Clinic in Orange County

 Santa Ana, California - Two individuals from Orange County, Tibet Ergul and Chance Brannon, were arrested today by special agents from the FBI and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service on federal charges related to the firebombing of a Planned Parenthood clinic in Costa Mesa. Ergul, 21, hailing from Irvine, and Brannon, 23, an active-duty Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton from San Juan Capistrano, were taken into custody without incident.

The arrests follow a joint investigation by local and federal law enforcement agencies into the March 13, 2022 incident, during which Ergul and Brannon allegedly used a Molotov cocktail to attack the clinic. The criminal complaint charges both defendants with using an explosive or fire to damage real property affecting interstate commerce. They are scheduled to appear in the United States District Court in Santa Ana later today.

United States Attorney Martin Estrada emphasized the seriousness of the attack, stating, "My office takes very seriously this brazen attack that targeted a facility that provides critical health care services to thousands of people in Orange County." Estrada further highlighted the fortunate absence of physical harm and the prompt response of responders that prevented the destruction of the clinic, condemning the defendants' violent actions as entirely unacceptable.

Donald Alway, the Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI's Los Angeles Field Office, echoed these sentiments, emphasizing that the act of launching an improvised explosive device into a public facility endangered lives and will not be tolerated. Alway commended the joint efforts of local and federal law enforcement that led to today's arrests, underscoring the commitment to hold accountable those who deliberately endanger the community.

According to the complaint, Ergul and Brannon carried out the attack in the early morning hours, igniting and throwing a Molotov cocktail at the clinic entrance. As a result, the Planned Parenthood Costa Mesa healthcare clinic was compelled to close the following day, resulting in the cancellation of approximately 30 appointments.

Security footage detailed in the affidavit captured two individuals wearing hooded sweatshirts and face masks approaching the Planned Parenthood facility around 1 a.m. on the day of the attack. The video shows them igniting a device and hurling it at the front door of the building. The complaint describes how the device landed against a southern wall, next to the glass door, and erupted into a fire that spread up the wall and across the ceiling above the entrance.

Authorities from the Costa Mesa Police Department and Fire Department swiftly responded to the scene, extinguishing the fire. Analysis of evidence collected at the site revealed that the glass container and other materials contained gasoline.

While a criminal complaint contains allegations, it is important to note that all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

The charge of using an explosive or fire to damage real property affecting interstate commerce carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in federal prison.

The ongoing investigation is being conducted by the FBI and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, with substantial assistance provided by the Costa Mesa Police Department.

Assistant United States Attorney Kathrynne Seiden of the Terrorism and Export Crimes Section will handle the prosecution of this case.