Monday, March 09, 2015

New Haven Narcotics Dealer Sentenced to More Than 11 Years in Federal Prison

Deirdre M. Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that PHILIP BRYANT, also known as “Phat Phil” and “Fizzy,” 28, of New Haven, was sentenced today by Senior U.S. District Judge Ellen Bree Burns in New Haven to 135 months of imprisonment, followed by five years of supervised release, for distributing narcotics.

According to court documents and statements made in court, this matter stems from “Operation Bloodline,” a joint law enforcement investigation targeting narcotics trafficking and gang violence in the Dwight-Kensington and Fair Haven sections of New Haven. Led by the DEA New Haven Task Force and the New Haven and Hamden Police Departments, the year-long investigation included the use of court-authorized wiretaps on numerous telephones, extensive physical surveillance, controlled purchases of narcotics, execution of search warrants, and seizures of narcotics and firearms. Approximately 100 individuals were convicted of federal charges as a result of the investigation.

On February 6, 2014, a jury found BRYANT guilty of one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute, and to distribute, cocaine, cocaine base and heroin.
According to the evidence at trial, Kevin Wilson, also known as “Nature,” distributed narcotics, primarily in the Dwight/Chapel area of New Haven. BRYANT was intercepted on multiple occasions arranging drug transactions with Wilson. In addition, BRYANT provided Wilson with 26.3 grams of crack cocaine that Wilson, in turn, sold to two individuals who were working with law enforcement.

Trial testimony further established that BRYANT, Wilson and other co-defendants shared a stash of firearms to use in furtherance of their drug trafficking activity.

BRYANT’s criminal history includes convictions for assault in the first degree and larceny in the first degree. He has been detained since his arrest on May 25, 2012.

Wilson awaits sentencing.

This matter was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration’s New Haven Task Force, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the New Haven,

Hamden, West Haven, North Haven, Branford, Ansonia and Meriden Police Departments. The United States Marshals Service, the Connecticut State Police, the Connecticut Department of Correction, Parole and Community Services and the Milford, Hartford, New Britain, North Branford and Stratford Police Departments provided valuable assistance to the investigation.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys S. Dave Vatti and Marc Silverman.

No comments: