Showing posts with label Convicted felon. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Convicted felon. Show all posts

Friday, September 19, 2025

A Single Bullet Earns Three-Time Convicted Felon More Than Eight Years in Federal Prison

SAVANNAH, GA: Charles Harmon Porter, 54, of Savannah, Georgia, was sentenced to 100 months in federal prison plus three years of supervised release after pleading guilty to possession of ammunition by a convicted felon, said Margaret E. Heap, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Georgia.

As described in court documents and at sentencing, on the night of May 29, 2023, Porter—a three-time convicted felon with prior convictions for offenses including terroristic threats, possession of cocaine, and obstruction of law enforcement—used a handgun to shoot his female roommate during a domestic dispute at their residence on Alma Street in Savannah. After the shooting, Porter fled the residence and discarded the handgun at an unknown location, ensuring that it would never be found. Officers with the Savannah Police Department responded immediately to the scene of the shooting and quickly identified Porter as the perpetrator. They obtained a warrant for his arrest, located him at another residence in Savannah, and took him into custody within hours of the shooting. While Porter was being booked at the Chatham County jail, a single round of ammunition was found in his pocket. An ammunition examiner with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) determined that the round had been manufactured outside of the state of Georgia, which made Porter’s possession of the round a federal crime. Porter was indicted in federal court for possession of ammunition by a convicted felon and pleaded guilty to the charge earlier this year.

At Porter’s September 4 sentencing hearing, the United States presented evidence proving that Porter possessed the round in connection with the shooting, which the Court agreed amounted to attempted murder.

“The sentencing of Charles Harmon Porter reaffirms that this office will vigorously prosecute violent criminals who illegally possess firearms or ammunition down to the very last bullet as part of our commitment to public safety. We wish the victim the best in her continued recovery,” said U.S. Attorney Heap.

"Every bullet represents a potential threat to public safety; we will continue to work diligently to prevent firearms from falling into the wrong hands," said Acting ASAC Robert Davis.

The case was investigated by the ATF and the Savannah Police Department and prosecuted for the United States by Assistant United States Attorney Timothy P. Dean.

A related state charge of aggravated assault remains pending against Porter in Chatham County Superior Court.

Friday, March 08, 2024

Versailles Man Receives 15-Year Sentence for Illegal Firearms and Explosives Possession

LEXINGTON, Ky. — Bryan Carroll, 46, of Versailles, was handed a 180-month prison term on Friday by Chief U.S. District Judge Danny C. Reeves for violating federal firearm and explosive laws. Carroll pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and carrying an explosive while committing a felony offense.

Authorities were alerted on March 25, 2021, that Carroll was headed to the University of Kentucky Hospital with an active arrest warrant. Law enforcement officers apprehended Carroll outside the Emergency Department. A subsequent search of Carroll and his vehicle yielded eight firearms, including a sawed-off shotgun, four explosive devices, and an improvised explosive bomb.

During interrogation, Carroll confessed to carrying the firearms when arrested and acknowledged additional firearms in his vehicle. He also admitted to having "fireworks" and constructing metal can explosive devices containing nails. Carroll revealed he had more destructive devices at home and possessed a significant amount of explosive materials. A search warrant at his residence uncovered two more firearms and six additional improvised explosive bombs.

Carroll, previously convicted of complicity to traffic a controlled substance, acknowledged his illegal possession of firearms and explosives due to his felony conviction.

Per federal law, Carroll must serve at least 85 percent of his sentence and will be under U.S. Probation Office supervision for three years post-release.

United States Attorney Carlton S. Shier, IV, along with ATF, FBI, Versailles Police Department, Lexington Police Department, and University of Kentucky Police Department, announced the sentencing. Assistant U.S. Attorney Francisco Villalobos prosecuted the case.

The case was part of the Department of Justice’s "Project Safe Neighborhoods" Program, aimed at reducing violent crime through a multifaceted approach involving investigation, prosecution, prevention, and reentry efforts.