Saturday, November 14, 2020

Norwich Man Involved in Southeastern Connecticut Drug Ring Sentenced to 3 Years in Federal Prison

 John H. Durham, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that EARLENE DUDLEY, JR, 39, of Norwich, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Vanessa L. Bryant to 36 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for his role in a southeastern Connecticut drug trafficking ring.

Pursuant to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), the court proceeding occurred via videoconference.

This matter stems from an investigation led by the Drug Enforcement Administration, Connecticut Statewide Narcotics Taskforce East, Connecticut Department of Correction and the New London, Waterford, City of Groton and Stonington Police Departments, into the distribution of narcotics and illegal possession of firearms in southeastern Connecticut.  The investigation, which included court-authorized wiretaps and controlled purchases and seizures of narcotics and firearms, revealed that Ramel General worked closely with an identified leader of a drug trafficking network, distributing cocaine on behalf of the organization and assisting in maintaining an apartment in New London that served as the organization’s primary narcotics distribution location.  Dudley regularly purchased distribution quantities of cocaine from General and sold the drug in smaller quantities to his own customers.

On February 21, 2019, a search of the New London apartment maintained by General and others revealed more than 1.5 kilograms of cocaine, more than 350 grams of heroin, and 10 firearms.

On March 5, 2019, a grand jury in Hartford returned an indictment charging Dudley, General and 22 other individuals with various offenses.  Dudley was arrested on March 7, 2019.

On September 30, 2019, Dudley pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute and possession with the intent to distribute cocaine.

General pleaded guilty to a related charge and, on August 25, 2020, was sentenced to 120 months of imprisonment.

This investigation is being conducted by the Drug Enforcement Administration, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, U.S. Marshals Service, Homeland Security Investigations, Connecticut Statewide Narcotics Taskforce East, Connecticut Department of Correction and the New London, Waterford, City of Groton, Stonington, Norwich, Old Saybrook and UConn Police Departments.  The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Natasha M. Freismuth.

No comments: