Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Will Beall -- packing heat and a pen

When LA Rex came out last fall, I read it and thought, "hey, this dude's got some style.... he's crazy, but he can put a nice sentence together." As it turns out, I didn't know half of it, on either point. As I looked into writing a story on him, I found that not only is he really crazy, he's got some mad style, too.

I caught him at the Festival of Books alongside T. Jefferson Parker, Denise Hamilton and Tod Goldberg in a panel discussing the challenges about writing fiction set in Southern California. Looking at his book jacket photo and reading his prose, I figured Beall would be a gruff, growly guy, in love with his authenticity as a cop and a novelist.

I was very, very wrong.

READ ON

Editor's Note:
Click here for more information about Will Beall

No comments: